Students will be divide into small groups of four and given safety guidelines to follow when near the water.
Students will communicate with their team to carry out the Pond Survey.
Part A. -Water Collections
1. Collect water samples using collection bottles
2. Pour a small amount of sample into petri dish and observe for organisms using hand lens.
3. Record observations on Survey Sheet
4. Discard unused sample in petri dish back into pond.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for two more collection sites
Part B. - Ecological Survey
1. Survey the area around the pond and identify biotic and abiotic factors that contribute to the environment.
2. Record the following into journal:
Type of biome
Type of habitat
Land and Water organisms
3. Draw and label a detailed sketch of ecosytems including all living and non-living things.
4. Students who brought cameras may photograph the environment.